• at September 30, 2018

Hi everyone. I would like to apply for a disability claim on the behalf of a relative of mine, but I must admit that I’m not an expert in this area. If I know what some of the guidelines are, perhaps I can avoid making any rookie mistakes.

I would hate to have a claim denied because I’d have to probably go through it again. Perhaps I would have to fight it and I don’t want the extra hassle. Well, who would?

I would love to hear from anyone with any insight on this, or perhaps you can share your story with me.

Thanks in advance.

• at September 30, 2018

I actually went through this exact nightmare. You’re right, it’s a time you want things to go smoothly. When it doesn’t, it can really stress you out.

When my claim was denied, a friend of mine suggested I contact a disability insurance lawyer. I contacted Disability Lawyer Toronto and received much-needed help and advice. It was turned around. I was really grateful. If it comes to that for you, I would suggest you do the same thing. Do not just accept the denial.

• at September 30, 2018

Thank you for that information. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I am glad it worked out for you though.

• at September 30, 2018

Insurance companies do not want to pay out. It is in their DNA. If they can get away with it, they will try their best to do so. However, sometimes legitimate cases end up paying the price. That’s why, if you are denied, don’t just accept it. Get help and fight it.

I initially got turned down for something that could not be seen or measured by any machine. I won’t reveal what my problem is, but luckily, I did have a record. I was also seen by many doctors, so there was proof. After hiring a disability insurance lawyer, the denied claim was overturned.

• at September 30, 2018

Insurance can be a tricky subject. Sometimes, the insurance companies may be right to deny someone. For example, if someone was denied because of a pre-existing condition, then you could argue that they were right to deny the claim.

So, if you have a certain condition, then were later insured, that condition will not be covered. So, even if it got worse, they can deny the claim. They only pay for stuff after you develop something new, something you did not have when you first got insured.

• at September 30, 2018

Yes, I understand that, but is there a way that a situation like that can be fought?

• at September 30, 2018

I honestly don’t know the answer to that question. It would be best to ask a lawyer. I would not ask the insurance company. They may only give you a response that is favourable to them. A lawyer would be the best person to speak to.

• at September 30, 2018

Sometimes you can be denied because you misrepresented information in your application. There are people who do that. That’s why it was upsetting for me when I applied legitimately and got denied.

You have to disclose important medical information. You’ll be found out if you try to embellish your application in some way.

• at September 30, 2018

Thanks for the advice. I have a better idea of how to approach this. I appreciate the help.