• at August 31, 2018

I have heard many artists and small business owners say they are not interested in learning how to market their products, or even that they hate marketing and want nothing to do with it.

Personally, I think marketing sounds like an interesting topic and I would like to know more. After all, the only way people will buy anything you have to sell is if they hear or read about it, right?

Can anyone recommend me some interesting reading material about marketing techniques?

• at August 31, 2018

Personally, I’ve been writing novels as an independent author for a few years now, and yes, I hate marketing my books and I’m very awful at it! I guess it would be helpful if I learned about marketing, but to me it sounds like something boring and complex.

• at August 31, 2018

I don’t understand why so many people are afraid of marketing! It’s really all about figuring out the value of your product, determining who your ideal customers are, and finding ways to reach out to them.

If you would like some interesting reading material, this should help you get started: What is marketing?

Of course there are many many more interesting articles you can read online, and even many books on the topic. I hope that helps!

• at August 31, 2018

Thank you! I just read the link you sent and I find it very interesting indeed.

• at August 31, 2018

Brenda, I didn’t know you were an author! I love reading and discovering new books. What are your novels about?

• at August 31, 2018

I mostly write romance stories with a hint of magic. My books are mostly for young adults, but I have a few “older adults” readers as well. I find it hard to reach out to my readers on social media, everything I post seems to immediately drown in a sea of posts and pictures and cat videos…

• at August 31, 2018

I need to ask, are you just curious about marketing, or would you be interested in a career in marketing? Because a close friend of mine has taken up a marketing course at Schulich and if you want to become a marketing expert, they have different programs that could be a right fit for you.

They even have programs that only last for 1 to 3 days, so I think it’s worth taking a look at what they have to offer.

• at August 31, 2018

Hey, that sounds great! Actually I think I would like a career in marketing, maybe not exactly as a marketing expert… but what I would really like is to be able to help artists and small business owners fall in love with marketing so they can do it efficiently and increase their sales.

I’m not sure if other people are doing this already but I think that’s something I’d like to do, offer my services as a marketing adviser for small businesses, something like that.

Thanks for the link, I’ll definitely check out their different marketing programs!

• at August 31, 2018

You’re welcome! I’m glad I could help you out a bit, and I think that project idea of yours is very interesting. Good luck!

• at August 31, 2018

That sounds great! I could definitely use the kind of help you want to offer. I’m rooting for you, and please let us know how it goes!

• at August 31, 2018

Thank you, and I’ll let you all know, yes! Obviously I’m not ready to start offering my services yet, first I want to keep learning as much as I can about marketing. I’ll probably enrol in some marketing courses eventually, but for now I’ll keep reading about the topic to really get me started.