• at January 1, 2019

I want to know more about my family’s genetics. I find this topic an interesting one, but also quite overwhelming to absorb all the information at once. If I took a DNA test, could I tell more about my future?

• at January 1, 2019

Well, it’s a DNA test, not some sort of fortune telling service. I’m not sure if it’ll be able to tell your future precisely‚Ķ

• at January 1, 2019

DNA is interesting! Here are some quick DNA facts to get you started:

1.) Everyone gets their genes from each parent. These genes will get all kinds of instructions that they send to all of our cells. This basically tells the cells how to grow and work.

2.) Our genes are nicely arranged in something called chromosomes. We all have 23 pairs of chromosomes. Each of our cells will contain copies of these chromosomes.

3.) DNA makes up these chromosomes. All of our instructions are written in a special code in our genes. When we are born, pairs of genes are inherited from the parents.

4.) These genes can sort of match up in multiple ways, so there are many different combinations. Using the example of the Osmonds (I hated them!), this is why they look alike.

5.) However, it does not have to be this way at all. It is not written in stone. That’s why you may also see family members who do not resemble each other even in the slightest.

• at January 1, 2019

Unless we are scientists ourselves, I suppose the world of DNA can get quite confusing.

I don’t know for sure, but I believe you can check into your family’s genetics with a professional service. You should contact someone like CRI Genetics and find out more. Ask them if there are tests they can perform to see if you may get diabetes or cancer. Knowing this might actually help you avoid it, if possible.

• at January 1, 2019

Genetics makes us unique individuals. I don’t think there is anyone in the world who shares the same genetic makeup, unless they are identical twins.

Genetics also explains why there are family members who look alike. Take the musical band The Osmonds. They all look alike don’t they?

• at January 1, 2019

You share a lot of the same genetics with your family members. This can have a bearing on your later life. For example, certain illnesses or diseases. I do believe there are tests that can be done to see if you or your family are prone to getting a disease.

This can occur when the instructions in a gene changes. Sometimes, there’s no effect. On other occasions, it can cause a disease. These are known as mutations. We all go through these mutations.

I believe it is very possible to understand certain risks and change certain things about your lifestyle to reduce risks. At the same time, I think that if you are predisposed, then no matter what you do, if you going to get something, you will.