• at June 23, 2019

I have always been a beer drinker, but lately, I’ve been thinking about trying wine.

I have never had a glass of wine before. I tried a sip from a friend’s glass and wasn’t too keen, but my friend convinced me that it was just not the right type of wine.

So, what are good wines for beginners?

• at June 23, 2019

I agree with your friend. Give it a chance. Remember when you first tried beer? I bet you made a funny face and it didn’t go down too well, right? Well, at least that was how it was for me. But I eventually coped and I love beer now. Give wine a chance and remember how you started drinking beer.

• at June 23, 2019

I’m no wine connoisseur and I suppose it can get a bit daunting with so many wines from all over the world. I suggest you not worry about it. I like something called Prosecco, which is an Italian wine. I suggest you can try this first. There are different kinds. You can get these in sparkling, semi-sparkling and still wine.

It is made from Glera grapes which is a white grape from Slovenia. I find this wine quite fruity and sweet. The flavours may also come across as lemon or green apples as well. I suggested this wine for you because I like it myself, but it has no tannins and the acidity level is low. This might help a beginner. Try it!

• at June 23, 2019

Thanks for the rec! I’ll definitely check it out.

• at June 23, 2019

I love wine, but there’s also a lot of experimentation, trial and error involved. I suggest you stick with it and don’t give up. You will get used to it and probably end up liking one, or perhaps many!

• at June 23, 2019

Try Chardonnay. It is the name of the grape from which the wine is made. This is a good one for beginners. Very popular also. It is a dry wine, so if you like things sweet, maybe this is not for you, but still, give it a shot.

• at June 23, 2019

Where do you guys buy your wine, by the way? Is there some good place where you can buy different kinds of wine to try out?

• at June 23, 2019

I get my wine shipped to me because I find it so convenient. I order it from WineOnline.ca and it’s great, because I can get stuff from anywhere. My local wine store is limited.

• at June 23, 2019

Try Pinot Grigio and / or Pinot Noir. Pinot Grigio is white and has a subtle flavour, so it might be a good wine for you to start as a beginner.  It does have a mild, fruity flavour but despite that, I’d say it is not all that sweet. You can drink it on its own or you can have it with seafood. That’s a good combination.

Pinot Noir is a red wine. It is quite low on tannin, so it feels relatively light. It is a dry red wine but there is a hint of cherry and berry flavours which you might enjoy.

• at June 23, 2019

Try Cabernet Sauvignon. This is a richer, more fuller wine. It does have a higher level of acidity and tannins. However, it does have a fruity flavour, like berries and plum.

Cabernet Sauvignon also comes in flavours like vanilla and chocolate and a few others, but this depends on where it’s from and who makes it.