• at August 22, 2018

I’ve got a question for all the lovely wine connoisseurs here on OUF (you know who you are!)

There’s a dinner party coming up at the end of the month, so I want to buy a good wine to razzle and dazzle the guests. Unfortunately, I’m hopeless when it comes to alcohol and have no idea what I’m doing. Ideally, I want to buy a good wine that is within an affordable price range.

What kind of wine will impress my party guests? Any tips, OUFers?

• at August 22, 2018

I take it that you are buying this for someone else? You’re not a wine drinker yourself?

• at August 22, 2018

No, I’m not much of a wine drinker. That’s why I’m asking for help from you guys!

• at August 22, 2018

Ah, alright then. I got some advice for you! Grab a seat at the bar and take notes.

1.) For starters, don’t just reach out at the closest or most eye-catching bottle. It could end up being disappointing.

2.) Even if you know nothing about buying wine, always read the back label. Turn the bottle round from now on and read the description at the back.

3.) This information will help you to match the wine with specific flavours or foods. There’s a lot of useful info that can be gathered from the wine label, so always make it a habit to read it.

• at August 22, 2018

You know, you can also learn to trust yourself. Next time you have some wine if you go out with friends, make a note of it, especially if you like it. Take note of the name of the wine, but also the grape and region. Try to get the information and remember it. You can research it more later.

The thing is, not every wine from the same region will have a similar taste. This is mainly due to the different methods used to make wine by the winemakers. Once you familiarize yourself with the grape variety or the region it is from, you can make better decisions when buying wine.

• at August 22, 2018

I’m really sorry, I don’t really follow what you’re saying? I wasn’t kidding when I said I know NOTHING about wine. Total newbie here, please help out.

• at August 22, 2018

I suppose a really simple way would be to look at those stickers or labels like VQA and other stickers of a similar nature. This is by no means a foolproof method, but some of these wines are better wines. But like I said, use that as a guide. Don’t base your judgment just on a sticker.

• at August 22, 2018

Yup, I have seen those labels before!

What if I purchase it online? Is there a good place to do this?

• at August 22, 2018

You can try WineOnline.ca as it is pretty comprehensive. I have bought from this site myself. You can do searches and refine your searches as well. You can check the region the wine is from, the grape variety and a hell of a lot more. You can really search something in great detail. It even tells you what foods you can pair it with. I think it will be helpful for you.

Remember, if the alcohol level is low, like 9%, then it will be sweeter. If it is 11 to 15%, it is considered dry. Anything around 13 to 14% is a good balance.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  Allison.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  Allison.