• at April 13, 2018

Apparently I’ve been living under a rock over the past few years because I didn’t realize there was a Colgate scandal until recently. For those of you who don’t know, there’s an ingredient in Colgate’s toothpaste commonly linked to cancer. Here’s an excerpt from The Daily Mail:

A chemical that has been linked to cancer cell growth is being used by millions of Americans in toothpaste every day, it has emerged.

The company behind Colgate Total insists that triclosan, which it uses to stave off gum disease, is safe to use because the toothpaste was approved in 1997 by the Food and Drug Administration.

But the toxicology documents used by the FDA to approve the toothpaste were only released early this year after a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit last year – and reveal the agency relied upon company-backed science to reach its conclusion, Bloomberg News reported.

The 35-page report reveals the FDA had concerns that triclosan could increase the risk of cancer – but Colgate said the chemical was only problematic in large doses.

Sounds scary, right? The bad news is that I was blissfully unaware of this until a friend told me. I’m a girl with strong brand loyalty, so the only brand of toothpaste I’ve ever used is Colgate. I could switch to another brand, but I thought to myself: maybe it’s safe to use again? After all, I’ve been using Colgate my whole life and I’ve been (thankfully) cancer-free. I turn to the health experts at OUF for help. Here’s my question: is Colgate safe to use?

• at April 13, 2018

Wow, this is really old news. What time era are you from? Is Stephen Harper still the prime minister for you back in 2014? 😛

• at April 14, 2018

Ha ha, laugh at my expense all you want. Sorry that I don’t check the health and safety news for my toothpaste brand every day. The important part is that I found out now and I want answers.

• at April 16, 2018

Can anyone answer my question??? I’m genuinely worried here.

• at April 17, 2018

I read that and ignored it. Personally, I think all of the toothpaste companies used that component, it’s just that Colgate was the only one who got exposed in public. It won’t make a difference no matter what brand you use. They’re all the same.

• at April 18, 2018

There goes Vlad with his conspiracy theories againnnnn.

Personally, I would advise against using Colgate. I remembered reading that news and switched to Sensodyne immediately. Even if they fixed it, why take that unnecessary risk? Don’t put your children’s health at risk. Just switch to another toothpaste brand.