• at January 7, 2019

I need to have several dental implants. However, I am more concerned about the sedation. I would like to know more about it.

What kind of options are available? Is there one that you recommend over another? I am really scared about the procedure. I have always feared going to the dentist!

• at January 7, 2019

I totally understand. I’m a bit like that too. Actually, I heard that a fear of dentists is more common than you think. Dental anxiety is nothing new.

If you are going to have dental implants, I don’t see any other way out of this. You will have to be sedated. There’s one other option…you could choose not to have the procedure.

• at January 7, 2019

Oh, how I wish I don’t have to go through the procedure, but I need it. I really, really need the dental implants.

• at January 7, 2019

I think there are several types of sedation. I believe they all have to do with how the patient is. If a patient is nervous, they may get one kind. If not, then they may get a different kind.

If someone is fearful of an injection in the mouth, they may first be sedated. Then, they will be better able to handle the injection. The sedation puts them in a calmer state and they are not as frightened. In fact, sometimes, you are awake for the whole procedure, but you have no memory of it.

• at January 7, 2019

I am pretty sure you have heard of laughing gas, right? It is called nitrous oxide. This too is used to help calm a patient down.

Personally, I have never had it, but I heard that you remain conscious. Apparently, it wears off pretty quickly. It is a mild sedative, I suppose. You have to put on some kind of contraption to breathe it.

The good thing is, you can relax pretty quickly, which is what you want. I don’t think there are any bad effects. I read that people can even drive themselves home afterwards.

• at January 7, 2019

Where are you going to have your implants done? Why don’t you ask them more about it? Explain to them your problem.

• at January 7, 2019

I will have the procedure done at Chrysalis Canada. I have spoken to them in general. I suppose there is no harm in calling them and asking for more advice.

• at January 7, 2019

Yeah, I think you should. Tell them all your fears and concerns. If anyone can make you feel better, surely they can. Don’t worry, I am sure it will be fine.

• at January 7, 2019

You may prefer taking a pill. This is known as an oral sedation. You take one the previous night and then you take one more before your procedure.

Though you will be awake the whole time, you will be very relaxed. For some reason, you tend not to remember many things. It somehow affects the memory. This effect is transient.

However, for this method, you cannot be on your own. You need to be accompanied, or I believe you will not be discharged. No driving by yourself.

• at January 7, 2019

There’s something called IV sedation. There are various amounts, but even when it is for deep sedation, you are most likely conscious. There is also general anaesthesia. This will need to be done in a hospital setting.