• at April 7, 2018

My daughter is throwing an intimate birthday party with a few of her close friends. It’s a relatively small and simple event, but I thought I’d spice things up and hire a clown entertainer for the party. It wasn’t meant to be malicious. I just wanted the clown to make some balloon animals or juggle a few balls or whatever clowns are supposed to do at parties.

I guess it’s partially my fault for not telling my daughter about hiring a clown until a few days before the party. I didn’t think she would have any objections, but boy was I wrong! When I told her there would be a clown at the party, she absolutely FREAKED OUT as if I did the worst thing imaginable. She made me call the clown and cancel the booking immediately. I couldn’t even get my deposit back, ugh.

What’s the deal with kids and clowns? Are they supposed to be entertaining or scary? Help me understand my daughter’s point of view, wise OUFers.

• at April 7, 2018

Your daughter was right. Clowns are scary. End of discussion.

• at April 7, 2018

I think your daughter was more upset that you went behind her back and booked a clown entertainer without even consulting her first. If you had talked to her beforehand, you would’ve known that she didn’t like clowns and you wouldn’t have wasted the money. There’s a lesson in communication here.

• at April 7, 2018

Your daughter was right. Clowns are scary. End of discussion.

+1

• at April 8, 2018

C’mon, guys. Grow up. Clowns get such a bad rep when there isn’t anything scary about them. They’re supposed to be jovial entertainers who bring laughter and joy to children’s parties. Your daughter is missing out. I hired a clown for my son and his friends, and they all absolutely had a blast at the party.

Maybe you should try talking to your daughter again. Make her understand your point of view. Watch some candid YouTube videos together and show her there’s nothing to be afraid of.