• at September 5, 2018

The company I work for has recently contacted Hogtown Mascots Inc and they will create a custom mascot costume for us. We’re all excited about this, we think it will add a fun dimension to our work.

However, my son is always terrified of mascots… I won’t be the one wearing the costume, but I wish there was something I could do to help my son conquer his fear. Any ideas?

• at September 5, 2018

I think it’s a normal thing for kids to be afraid of mascots, clowns, or anyone wearing a costume or face paint.

I’d say the best thing you can do is not force your son to be around mascots if he doesn’t want to. He will surely outgrow this fear with time

• at September 5, 2018

My daughter used to be afraid of mascots too. I took some time to explain her that there was nothing to be afraid of, that they were just normal people wearing large costumes.

This reassured her a bit, but she was still nervous around mascots. She always wanted to hold my hand, so I’ve been patient and I told her she didn’t have to go near the mascots if she didn’t want to. Eventually she stepped forward and approached one mascot, it was a giant pink puppy, she loved him and even gave him a hug! Now she’s a lot more comfortable around mascots, even though she can still get nervous once in awhile if a mascot moves quickly.

Talk to your son about mascots and tell him they are not dangerous. Maybe you can ask him exactly what he’s afraid of… Sometimes kids see things differently and we don’t even realize something that is obvious and normal to us could be very strange and scary to them.

• at September 5, 2018

You’re right about that! Thanks for the tip.

• at September 5, 2018

It’s cool that you’re getting a custom mascot costume! I know you said you would not be wearing the costume, but maybe you can make sure the person who will wear it knows what to do when there are kids around, in case they are afraid or uneasy.

For example, mascots should wait for children to approach them first. If the child doesn’t seem at ease, the mascot should stay away. They should also not hesitate to bend down or to squat so they can be at the child’s level and appear less big and scary.

• at September 5, 2018

I think it will help if you let your son see the mascot costume before someone wears it. This will help him understand that it’s only a costume that a normal person will wear.

Or when your son is near your mascot, you could ask the person wearing the costume to remove their mask so your son can see them and understand that someone is playing the role of the mascot, maybe even someone he knows.

• at September 5, 2018

No, don’t do that! Mascots should never remove their heads or costumes in front of children! For the kids that love mascots, this will only break the illusion and ruin their fun… For the kids that are anxious or uncomfortable, seing a giant animal remove its head and see that there is a human head inside can be a traumatising experience!

I think it’s best to just explain your son that the mascot is someone wearing a costume, but don’t make him go near the mascot if he doesn’t want to.

• at September 5, 2018

I talked to him about it, but I think he still isn’t too sure.

Thank you all for your tips, I’ll keep trying to make my son feel more at ease, but I know he probably won’t like our custom mascot as much as I will!