• at August 13, 2018

My daughter Anna has always been the entrepreneur type. She had her first lemonade stand when she was 7 years old, and at 12 she was walking the dogs of a few neighbours for a bit of money, that she used to eventually buy her own dog. I was so proud of her!

Now that she’s all grown, she’s managed to convince me that the book bags I had created and sewn for her and for myself could surely make a lot of people happy, and that we should start a small family business together. I like the idea of sewing more book bags to sell them, and teaching her how to sew them as well, but I must say this proud mom knows nothing about starting a small business!

I started some research on the topic, and Anna is making her research as well, but I was wondering if you awesome people could give us some advice or suggestions.

• at August 13, 2018

That sounds like a nice project! But what exactly do you mean by “book bags”?

• at August 13, 2018

Well, my daughter and I are avid readers, and we always carry at least one book with us wherever we go! I didn’t like the fact that my books sometimes got damaged inside my purse, so I had the idea to create a bag that’s perfect to safely carry two books, but also my wallet, my phone, and a few other things!

• at August 13, 2018

What a wonderful idea! I’d love to have one when you’re ready to sell them!

• at August 13, 2018

One thing I can tell you is that small business loans are very helpful when you’re getting started. In your case, I’m guessing you’ll be sewing your bags at home, and selling them on the internet?

• at August 13, 2018

That’s right, that’s the plan for now. Maybe we’ll try to find some nice shops that would like to sell a few for us, but for now we’re thinking of setting up an online store. I think my son will be able to help with that part.

• at August 13, 2018

Sounds great. So yeah, a small business loan could help you buy the fabrics and other things you’ll need to create your bags, but also to pay for marketing and anything you’ll need to really get started. I recommend Thinking Capital, a friend of mine has received a loan from them and was very happy with the whole process.

• at August 13, 2018

Hi! I think it’s really beautiful that you and your daughter want to start a small business together. It makes me wish I could have an exciting project like that with my kids!

My advice is that you’re going to need a cool name for your business, so it will sound unique, and people will want to know more about what you’re selling.

• at August 13, 2018

Thank you!

It’s true that we’ll need a good business name… We’ll need a few more brainstorming sessions, I think!

• at August 13, 2018

Have you considered trying to sell a few of your book bags on a site like Etsy before really starting a business? It could help you see if other people are interested in your project, and if they have any recommendations or comments about your bags.

• at August 13, 2018

Any business needs a business plan. You need to write down your goals, how much money you think you’ll need, who is your target market, how you want to run your business, and what your plans are for your business in a few years.

Thinking about these things before you get started will help you establish a solid foundation for your business. Of course, you can modify your business plan as you go, if your plans evolve!

• at August 13, 2018

I’m not too sure how to make a business plan, but I’ll research it. Thank you!

Oh, and #6, I never thought about getting an Etsy shop, I’ll talk about it to Anna. Thank you everyone for your suggestions!