• at October 11, 2018

Do you use a home alarm system and are you happy with it? Do you like the service? Is it easy to operate and check things?

I am considering this, but I am a bit of a technophobe. I do live in a pretty decent neighbourhood. I’m not even too keen to install this. My neighbour a few doors down suggested I should. It got me thinking. I’m not good with gadgets. Perhaps that’s why I am hesitant. Is it easy to navigate?

• at October 11, 2018

I think it is a good idea and agree with your neighbour. You can never tell. You may live in a so-called good neighbourhood, but that does NOT mean you are immune to crime.

As for being a little apprehensive regarding technical things, I would tell you not to worry. All you have to do is to ask the security company to show you and explain things to you.

Don’t build up this phobia. It really isn’t all that bad. They will explain things nicely. Even later on, when you have a question, you can call them for advice.

Listen, when I set up stuff for our home, I had no problem but my wife was a bit like you. She would have trouble with an on/off switch!

With their help (and a bit of mine), she could check remotely and do all kinds of stuff. Believe me, you can get your head around it.

• at October 11, 2018

Who did you use? Were they helpful?

• at October 11, 2018

I used a company called AARtech Canada Inc. and yes, they were very helpful, but more so for my wife than me. They certainly made sure everything was OK and that we were happy.

You can go with them, but even if you go with someone else, make sure that they help you understand everything. If their customer service is not good, then I would say don’t bother with them and try elsewhere.

• at October 11, 2018

I know Aartech well. I have bought many products from them. I think the previous poster did not mention something. Aartech only provides you with products. You have to install it yourself. In view of some things you have said, this may be tricky for you.

However, I also happen to know that Aartech can set you up with someone for the installation and monitoring. The company sells some top products from major brands. You have to do it yourself. If you can’t, then ask them to set you up with someone who can.

• at October 11, 2018

Oh, I thought they come over and do everything.

• at October 11, 2018

No, they don’t. But don’t let that worry you. It’s no big deal. You can contact them and still get the right products. They can advise you. Just ask for installation and monitoring. They can recommend someone good. I can tell you that they have really good prices for some of their products.

• at October 11, 2018

Sorry my friend. I guess I did not mention the do-it-yourself part. I did fix my own. I also asked my wife to call and ask them questions to explain things. They were really helpful though (to her).