• at August 5, 2018

My house is in desperate need of new windows. We don’t have enough money to get them replaced this year, so we’ll have to be patient. We don’t want to pay less for cheap windows, we really want to wait until we can invest in high quality ones.

Until then, I’m wondering what is the best way to clean my old windows, and to keep them clean? I’ve been using different window cleaners, even some eco friendly products, and they all seem to leave ugly streaks on the glass… Do you have any tips on how I can make those old windows look better?

• at August 5, 2018

I think no matter what you’re using to clean your windows, the most important thing is that you should not do it on a warm and sunny day. If you do that, your windows will dry up too quickly and that causes streaks.

It’s best to wait for a cloudy day for this task, and your windows should look great!

• at August 5, 2018

I know what you mean! I got all my windows replaced last year, it was an important investment but we’re sure glad we did it! I couldn’t stand looking at my old windows anymore.

To clean my windows, I’ve always used a mix of warm water, white vinegar and lemon essential oil. I mix these ingredients together in a spray bottle, I spray each window, and then I wipe and dry it with paper towels. It’s always worked just fine for me!

• at August 5, 2018

#1, well there’s a good tip! I never thought to check the weather before getting outside to clean my windows… I’ll be sure to pay attention next time, thank you!

#2, adding lemon essential oil to your homemade cleaning solution sounds like a great idea! Where did you buy your new windows?

• at August 5, 2018

We got them from Panes Window Manufacturing, and we got Flexscreens for each of them, it’s simply amazing!

And yes, I think the lemon essential oil helps getting rid of grime on window glass… or at least, it smells fabulous as I’m using it!

• at August 5, 2018

I don’t recommend using paper towels to dry windows after cleaning them, in my opinion it only leaves a lot of residues behind. Same with using newspapers to dry your windows, some people claim it’s an amazing tip but I really don’t see the point of doing this. It’s not an eco-friendly solution and it doesn’t even do that much of a great job!

Instead, use microfiber cloths, a chamois, or even better, a squeegee to dry your windows. This should get rid of those ugly streaks once and for all, trust me.

• at August 5, 2018

I agree that using a squeegee is the way to go! And it’s fun to use, too.

The cleaning solution I use is really just warm water with a tiny squirt of dishwashing soap in it. It’s simple, and it works great. Be sure not to put too much soap in your water though.

• at August 5, 2018

Sometimes it’s necessary to use a soft brush when there’s some really tough dirt to deal with… Also, before I clean the glass of each window, I start by vacuuming the window tracks, and for the outside I use a brush to remove any dirt or spider webs that are hanging around the window frames.

Then, cleaning the glass is easier. I use an eco-friendly product that I bought at the store and it leaves no streak.

• at August 5, 2018

Those are good tips, thank you everyone. I guess I’ll try using water with white vinegar and essential oil, I’ll see how it works on my old windows! I’ll look for a small squeegee, too.