• at January 30, 2019

It’s time for us to add a dog to our family! The kids got involved in the decision, of course, and we finally made a choice: we want to get a husky puppy.

A friend told me it was important to not only buy our puppy from a breeder, but also to choose a certified breeder. When I asked him why he thought it was so important to buy from a certified dog breeder, he didn’t really know what to tell me…

What do you guys think? Why are certified dog breeders so great?

• at January 30, 2019

I guess people love to buy puppies from certified dog breeders because they want to make sure they will be buying pure breed puppies.

But for me, that sort of thing really doesn’t matter. I always buy my dogs from animal shelters. So many animals have been abandoned, and they only want to be adopted by a loving family. To me it doesn’t make a difference what breed they are.

• at January 30, 2019

If you want a specific breed, I think it only makes sense to get your dog from a certified dog breeder. The fact that a breeder has been certified means you can trust them to be reputable.

Certified dog breeders are responsible, and they take pride in their dogs. They will research anything there is to know about the breed they are breeding, and about the lineage of their adult dogs, so they can produce the best puppies possible. I think buying a puppy from a breeder is less risky than getting a mixed-breed dog, because your dog will probably be more healthy, and have a better temperament.

By the way, I don’t know if you already have a breeder in mind, but if you don’t, you should check out Kybra Kennels. They specialize in Siberian huskies, and in Portuguese water dogs.

• at January 30, 2019

Thank you, I’ll check them out!

Buying a healthier dog with a better temperament sounds like a good argument to me.

• at January 30, 2019

I’m not sure if pure-bred dogs really have a better temperament than shelter dogs… But one thing I know for sure, is that when you buy a puppy from a certified breeder, you know your puppy has been well taken care of.

Shelter dogs can make great, loving companions, but sadly many of them have been neglected or abused by their previous owners. Some dogs can be doing just fine even if they’ve been abused or neglected, but others will develop behavior issues. Especially if you have young kids, it’s best not to take any chance… When you buy a puppy from a breeder, you know it has never been mistreated before. As long as you buy from a responsible certified breeder, of course.

• at January 30, 2019

That’s an interesting point… It’s so sad that many shelter dogs have been abused before they were abandoned. People can be so cruel sometimes! Not everyone has what it takes to be a kind and responsible dog owner.

• at January 30, 2019

That’s right… Many people simply shouldn’t be allowed to have pets.

• at January 30, 2019

One thing that’s great about adopting a puppy from a certified dog breeder is that you can develop some sort of relationship with your breeder. They can recommend you a good vet who knows how to treat the type of dog you’re adopting, they can give you advice on how to raise your puppy… And if ever you have an issue later, you can contact your breeder and ask them for some help. They’ll always be ready to answer your questions.

• at January 30, 2019

That’s great! I never owned a dog before, so being able to get some advice will be helpful for sure.