• at August 11, 2018

Hi! My friend and I have applied for a small business grant from Ontario Centres of Excellence, and I can’t wait to know if we will be chosen or not. We have a solid business plan ( I don’t want to discuss it in details for now, I hope you can understand that… If you want to know more, I’ll tell you more about our business idea if we get our grant! ) and yes, we fully believe in our idea but we need funds to make it happen.

One thing I was wondering though was whether we really need a website for our business, or if we can be fine with just a few accounts on different social media sites. I know that a lot can be done on social media so I’m questioning if a small business really needs a website… What are your thoughts on this?

• at August 11, 2018

It’s a bit hard to say if I think you need a website if I have no idea what your business will be about… Will you be selling a product or a service online? Or do you simply want a website to advertise your business if it will have a physical location?

• at August 11, 2018

We’ll be selling services, both online and at our office. And of course we will be advertising our services online, too.

• at August 11, 2018

All businesses should have a website. That’s the way I see it, nowadays if you don’t have a presence online, you don’t exist. I think simply being on social media is not enough, because unlike your website, you don’t really own your social media accounts. You never know when the site might lose its popularity, or when they might change their algorithm. When you own your website, you get to set the rules.

• at August 11, 2018

I think what he says makes sense. You need to be on social media, yeah, but you also should get a website. It’s pretty easy to get a professional looking website, even if you don’t know a thing about website design or graphic design, you can still find a way to make a nice website.

Of course you can also hire someone to create one for you, that all depends on your budget, but yeah if you do get your grant that shouldn’t be a problem.

• at August 11, 2018

I agree that you need a website, and it’s alright if you want to keep the details of your business idea a secret for now.

But my question for you is: what will you do if ever you don’t get your grant? Did you think of that in your business plan? Sure, there are different small business grants available, but if ever you’re not able to get one, how will you fund your business?

• at August 11, 2018

My friend and I have some savings, but not enough to really get started. If we can’t get this grant, we’ll try to apply for another one. If all fails, we’ll apply for a business loan. There’s no way we’ll let go of our idea.

I guess you’re all right and we should get a website, we’ll start considering our different options soon.

• at August 11, 2018

I spend a lot of time on social media and when I want to search for a company, I search on there. But I suppose there are advantages to having your own website that you can design any way you want.

I hope you get the grant you want and that everything goes well for you!

• at August 11, 2018

Thank you! My friend and I are keeping our fingers crossed. Getting this grant would really help us make our dream come true.