• at August 18, 2018

It was hard for me to admit it, even to myself, but things have been really difficult on the financial side, lately.

I lost my job last month, and now I’m working as a waitress in a restaurant because I wasn’t able to find anything else. I’m struggling with debt and I’m terrified that I might have to file a bankruptcy.

Does anyone have any tips for me? Is there something I can do to avoid bankruptcy, besides trying to get a job that pays more? I’m searching for a better job, but it’s really difficult.

Thank you in advance for your help.

• at August 18, 2018

It’s brave of you to talk about your problems. Many people who are dealing with financial problems are too ashamed to open up about their situation and to ask for help. But the truth is there is nothing to be ashamed of! Many people have the same struggles you have, you’re not alone.

The one thing I can recommend you is financial counselling. An expert could discuss your situation with you and give you detailed tips on how to get out of debt. They could present you options such as debt consolidation or settlement.

• at August 18, 2018

I know bankruptcy doesn’t sound fun at all, but it isn’t the end of the world, you know. Of course, it could have some consequences on your credit, but it would allow you to start with a clean slate.

Counselling will help you figure out which option is the best for you, but I just want to point out that bankruptcy is not something you should be afraid of.

• at August 18, 2018

Have you thought of doing a garage sale? It can be surprising the amount of things we hold on to, even if we never use them, and don’t even need or like them.

Maybe you could have a big garage sale to sell the things you don’t want anymore. Or you could sell them online on a site like eBay. The cash you would make could help you get rid of some debt.

• at August 18, 2018

I think there are many solutions you can try before the only solution left is bankruptcy. Debt consolidation and consumer proposals are just a few options.

My sister was struggling with debt a couple of years ago, and she consulted with someone from Harris & Partners Inc. They really helped her take back control of her financial situation, and she had nothing but nice things to say about them. Maybe they can help you too.

• at August 18, 2018

What has helped me when I got into debt was to make a budget. Even when we don’t have a lot of money coming in, we sometimes spend it on things that are not necessary, without even realizing it.

For example, my budget made me realize that I was spending a lot of money on coffee each week. Now, instead, I make my own coffee at home and I bring it to work in an insulated mug, instead of stopping somewhere to buy coffee. It might not sound like much, but these tiny expenses really do accumulate over time.

Best of luck to you!

• at August 18, 2018

I’m sorry to hear you are having problems. I hope you can find a better job soon and that you will be able to get out of debt.

• at August 18, 2018

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will consider debt counselling, and I will see where it will take me. And I might try to sell some of the stuff I don’t need, that’s something I haven’t thought of and I think it would do me some good.