• May 29, 2018 at 8:02 pm

Hi everyone! Maybe my question will seem silly to some of you, but I still need to ask because even after doing some research online, I’m confused!

Does anyone know what cloud hosting is? I’ve been hearing that term a lot lately, and I just don’t understand what it means. A client of my sister told her that she should consider cloud hosting for her small business, but she was confused as well.

Anyone can help us out?

• May 29, 2018 at 9:10 pm

It’s not a silly question, especially if you simply know nothing about website hosting!

When you choose cloud hosting, it means your website will be hosted on different servers that will work together to increase its performance. The group of servers used is called the cloud, not because they are floating in the sky but because… well to be honest I’m not too sure why they name it the cloud, maybe because it involves virtual servers?

• May 29, 2018 at 10:40 pm

Woah, I’m already lost there! Wait, so a server is some sort of computer used to keep a website… is that it?

• May 30, 2018 at 10:11 am

I guess you could put it this way, yes! You can access a website from any computer or mobile device, but the files and the pictures that form this website are hosted on a server, or on many servers.

If a website is hosted on only one server, and that server has an issue, no one will be able to access this website. If the same website is hosted in the cloud (which means, on many servers working together) the website won’t have any downtime because even if a server is down for some time, the other servers will replace it. Does it make sense?

• May 30, 2018 at 12:40 pm

I think so, yes! Thank you! So the main benefit of cloud hosting is that the website will always be up and ready anytime someone wants to visit it, right?

I guess that’s what my sister’s client was talking about, because her website is often very slow and some of the images just won’t appear no matter how long you wait.

• May 30, 2018 at 5:05 pm

I had no idea what the cloud was either… I don’t know much about computers. I know how to read my emails, how to use Facebook and a few forums I’m a member of, and that’s about it!

• May 31, 2018 at 8:28 am

Yes, I’d say that the main benefit of cloud hosting is that it increases the performance of your website. No more downtime or bandwidth issue, and everything should run a lot more smoothly.

If your sister wants to learn more about cloud hosting for her business, I recommend Carbon60 Networks. They have different solutions for businesses in different industries, and they should be able to answer your sister’s questions and to help her figure out what she needs to improve the performance of her website.

• May 31, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Thanks a lot! I’ll be sure to share that link with her. It’s true that her website could really use a boost, especially now that her business is starting to expand.

• June 1, 2018 at 12:00 pm

It’s so important to have a functional website that can inform visitors about what your business does. In this day and age, it’s simply foolish to think about doing business without a website.

If an entrepreneur has no idea how to build a website for their business, they have to learn, or to hire someone who knows what they’re doing. Managed cloud hosting services will help bring their website to life, but it needs to be carefully planned and designed to help visitors find out exactly what they need to know.