• at October 16, 2018

I would like to understand the process involved in getting a work permit. I am living in Canada and I am a Canadian citizen. I have my own business.

I would like to help a relative to come here and work for me. What should I do and what should my relative do? Do both of us have to put in an application or does only one person have to do this?

Also, is it easy and straightforward? In other words, would it be successful? Should I get help or can this be done by ourselves?

• at October 16, 2018

When it comes to such matters, I would not say any of it is easy or straightforward. Besides, how many people do you know who are knowledgeable on such matters? Personally, I would never attempt something like this on my own. Best to get help from a lawyer or legal representative.

• at October 16, 2018

I suppose you are right. Do you have any experience in this matter?

• at October 16, 2018

Yes, I do. In fact, it is not dissimilar to yours. I did get help from Tiziana Aiello and it was successful. Matters like this can have all kinds of problems. I’ve had friends who tried this but weren’t successful, or it just dragged on.

That’s why I would strongly advise you, or anyone, for that matter, to get help and not go about this on your own, right from the start.

• at October 16, 2018

As the employer, you will have to apply for something called an LMIA or Labour Market Impact Assessment. This will be granted if it is deemed that there is no Canadian or permanent resident who can do the job. This is quite tricky.

There are instances where this step may not be necessary. There are several conditions or examples where, if you are lucky, you may not be required to apply for this. You and I won’t really know the details, but an immigration lawyer will.

• at October 16, 2018

It doesn’t sound straightforward to me. In fact, it sounds like a local person could be able to do the job that I wish to hire my relative to do.

• at October 16, 2018

No, don’t worry. I agree it sounds really hard, but lawyers will know how to advise you and work with these things. They know stuff inside out right? Before you start to panic, talk to someone about your situation first.

• at October 16, 2018

I think your relative will also have to apply from the other side. I believe you must also clearly state that there is a definite job offer being given to your relative. However, if the LMIA thing was involved, then you need to send the positive copy of these findings. Mind you, this is only for Quebec.

Once all the things fall into place, is accepted and there are no issues, then a temporary work permit is given. This will have to be renewed several times, depending on how long it is required.