• at August 8, 2018

So we came back home after a weekend away, and it seems many brown patches appeared all over our lawn while we were gone. I don’t understand what’s going on, our neighbor told us it has rained while we were away, so our lawn is certainly not drying out because of hot weather. His lawn looks just fine…

Does anyone have any idea of what might have caused this?

• at August 8, 2018

Maybe it was caused by some bugs? I don’t know… Or maybe a dog has been digging in your lawn while you were gone? If it wasn’t caused by weather, some critters are probably responsible!

• at August 8, 2018

Something like that happened to us last summer, the brown patches were caused by a white grub infestation. The best thing you should do is call a lawn care expert for help.

• at August 8, 2018

White grubs? Sounds gross!

So how do I make sure it’s really a grub infestation? And if it’s really grubs, what are they doing to my grass exactly? If I just walk around my lawn is there a chance I will see them?

• at August 8, 2018

White grubs are beetle larvae, and they kill lawn by snacking on grass roots. You can’t see them because they’re hiding underground…

If you want to make sure it’s really grubs, wear gloves and pull up the grass on one of those brown patches. You might need to use a trowel… If there are white grubs, you will see them. They are plump little things, in the shape of a C, and if they are there they will be impossible to miss.

• at August 8, 2018

Oh yuck! I followed your advice and I removed a small section of brown dead grass… Here they are alright, those ugly grubs!

What do I do now?? Can I use some pesticides to get rid of them?

• at August 8, 2018

Yes you can use pesticides, ask for the stuff that can kill white grubs when you get to the store. Pesticides need to be applied in the late summer, and then you’ll have to use them again next year to prevent the grubs from returning.

If you don’t want to use pesticides, some people recommend to stop watering your lawn for awhile because that can dry out the grubs as they need moist soil. However, even if that works out, it will make your lawn brown all over for some time.

• at August 8, 2018

Ok, that doesn’t sound too good. I guess I’ll try pesticides, even though I’m concerned that they could damage my lawn even more.

• at August 8, 2018

You should call Weed Man, they know how to eliminate white grubs and how to prevent a new infestation. They’re really experts!

I often deal with Weed Man, they help maintain my lawn and it now looks better than it ever did.

• at August 8, 2018

It’s so complex to just enjoy a beautiful, healthy lawn… When it’s not some bug infestation, it’s weeds that are taking over.

When I was young, I thought that all I would have to do to keep my lawn healthy as a homeowner would be to water it once in awhile, and mow it once a week. I now see that lawn care is a loooot more complicated than that!

• at August 8, 2018

Ok, I contacted Weed Man and told them about my problem, then asked them for a quote. They’re supposed to come take care of those grubs in two days!

Thank you for helping me figure out what was going on… I never would have thought of looking underneath those brown patches. Well, they’ll probably stay there for awhile, but at least if the grubs die they won’t grow bigger and the whole lawn won’t turn brown!