• at October 23, 2018

I want to hire a family lawyer and I started doing my research, but I’m feeling confused and I think I’m in need of some advice.

What is the most important thing to consider when you want to hire a family lawyer? I’m trying to find a lawyer with an office close to where I live, but I’m thinking that maybe I should broaden my search…

• at October 23, 2018

Indeed, if there are not that many family lawyers where you live, you should broaden your search. I think the most important thing to consider is the experience of the family lawyer. You should not choose a lawyer who has only 1 or 2 years of experience, especially if they have never handled a case like yours.

Then of course you have to be aware of their fees before you hire a lawyer. If you can’t afford them, it’s best to know in advance and to choose someone else.

• at October 23, 2018

That makes sense. Thank you.

• at October 23, 2018

Why do you want to hire a family lawyer? If it’s not too delicate, of course.

• at October 23, 2018

No, that’s ok. Things have been awful between me and my partner for a good while now, and I finally decided I had enough. I want to get a written separation agreement. We have no children together, but I don’t know much about property division and I don’t trust his advice on this topic, so I want a family lawyer.

• at October 23, 2018

Ok. I’m sorry to hear that things have been bad, but I’m sure you have taken the right decision.

I already hired an accident lawyer before, but never a family lawyer. I think that fees are something important to consider when searching for a lawyer, of course, but to me it’s not the most important thing.

Since you will be discussing a delicate situation with your family lawyer, I say you should hire someone you feel comfortable with. If you meet with a lawyer and you feel like they’re not even listening to you, or if you’re almost afraid to ask them a question or to send them an email because you’re scared of bothering them…. well you should just not hire them, and choose someone else you feel at ease with, and someone you know will be available to answer your questions and to advise you.

• at October 23, 2018

Thank you so much! I think you’re right, I need to choose a family lawyer I feel comfortable with. But I guess to find out for sure if it works between me and a lawyer, I have to meet them first? Do they offer free initial consultations?

• at October 23, 2018

I think a lot of lawyers do, yes. It wouldn’t make much sense to just hire someone you have never spoken to, right?

• at October 23, 2018

If you’re concerned about property division, I recommend checking out Matrimonial Home. Even if you did not share a home together, the website should still have some good advice for you.

Good luck finding the right family lawyer, and please don’t forget to take good care of yourself throughout this whole process.

• at October 23, 2018

I agree with what the others have said here. I’d like to add that reading testimonials from former clients can help you figure out if a family lawyer is a good match for you and your situation.

If you are considering a lawyer but you can’t find any client testimonial online, I don’t know, but personally I would be suspicious. Lawyers who have good testimonials should be proud to display them on their website.