• at August 20, 2018

Hi everyone! The toilet in my bathroom is leaking, there’s water pooling all around the base of the toilet and I don’t know what I should do! Any advice??

• at August 20, 2018

Call a plumber!

• at August 20, 2018

Well I don’t think this is an emergency, I’m just worried that it might get worse over time… Isn’t there any way that I could fix it myself?? If I really can’t stop the leak, I’ll call a plumber, but I’m hoping I won’t have to because I’m a bit short on cash lately, you know…

• at August 20, 2018

Getting a plumber to repair your leaky toilet really isn’t that expensive, you know. But having to get your floor repaired because it’s been damaged by this water leak could cost you a lot.

• at August 20, 2018

I think you might be able to fix that leak yourself, but first you have to find out where it’s located. Does the water come from the handle of your toilet? Does it come from the tank or from the bowl? Does it come from the shutoff valve?

• at August 20, 2018

I’m pretty sure it comes from the bowl… Well, I’ve seen some water drip from the handle too, actually. What should I do??

• at August 20, 2018

Ok, well if it’s coming from the bowl, I’m not sure what to tell you. Maybe the vents are blocked, or maybe there’s actually a crack in the toilet bowl, which is bad. You should definitely consider calling a plumber.

If the handle of the toilet is also leaking, it might only mean that the float ball is too high inside the tank. It could also mean the overflow pipe is too long. Both things are easy to fix, here’s an article that explains How to fix a leaking toilet handle to help you get started.

• at August 20, 2018

Wait, vents? Overflow pipe?? I don’t really understand what that is… Maybe I don’t know my toilet this much after all, even with all the time I spend sitting on it every single morning!

• at August 20, 2018

lol!!! You’re silly! I know that the overflow pipe and the float ball are inside the toilet tank, look in there and you should get it. I’m not sure how to fix them though, but if you make some research online you should be fine… Or, you could just call a plumber and let a pro fix it for you.

• at August 20, 2018

If there’s a crack in your toilet, you definitely need a plumber. If you’re not sure whether the bowl has a crack or not, well a plumber will be able to tell you. Like someone already mentioned, if your flooring gets damaged because of the water that pools around the bottom of your toilet, it will be more expensive than simply asking a plumber to come and take a look at the issue.

• at August 20, 2018

Humm… ok yeah, you’re right.

• at August 20, 2018

Are you in Toronto? If so, I recommend ExpressRooter, I’ve called them more than once for a few different plumbing issues and they always do a great job.

• at August 20, 2018

Ok, I’ll check them out, thanks everyone! Hopefully my toilet will soon be happy again, and dry on the outside as it should.

• at August 20, 2018

lol. Last time I had a plumber in my apartment (it was also the first time) that guy really had a hard time figuring out what was wrong with my shower… At least he was a friendly guy, but for a moment I thought he’d never manage to fix the problem.

• at August 20, 2018

Did he finally fix it? And what was the problem?

• at August 20, 2018

Yes he did fix it, and the problem was that the drain was clogged, deep down, by some tree roots… Something like that, it took a lot of work but all’s good now.