• at August 23, 2018

Each year during Spring, the basement of my house gets flooded. Sometimes there’s just a bit of water coming in, but this year it was hell, really… I’m so tired of this.

Do you have advice on what I can do to protect my basement and help making sure it never gets flooded again? Is that even possible?

• at August 23, 2018

I guess your basement has never been waterproofed? This is the first thing you should do. There are other things you can do to help prevent flooding, but the most important step is waterproofing your basement.

• at August 23, 2018

Waterproofing? What does it mean exactly, and how can I do it? Is it something I can do myself, or do I need to hire professionnals to do it for me?

• at August 23, 2018

I think most plumbers offer waterproofing services. They can install a backwater valve and a sump pump what will help prevent flooding and keep your basement dry.

Your plumber can also inspect your drains to make sure they are not damaged, because damaged drains can be responsible for floods in some situations.

• at August 23, 2018

Thanks a lot! I wouldn’t have thought of that! I have called Drain Rescue Plumbers a few times for clogged drains, and now I see on their website that they do offer flood protection services. I’ll be sure to call them.

• at August 23, 2018

Calling plumbers to install a sump pump and backwater valve is great, but there are also small things you can do to make things better.

For example, when you shovel snow in the winter, be sure to shovel it away from your house instead of making a big pile against the wall. You should also look around your house and make sure there aren’t any cracks in your foundation. If you see cracks, have them repaired as soon as possible.

You should also check your gutters and have them cleaned regularly, because if they are blocked, rainwater will drip directly against the foundation of your house and then, it could easily enter your basement. So keep your rain gutters clean, and make sure your downspouts are in good condition as well. Try to extend them so they send the rainwater away from your house. This should help!

• at August 23, 2018

I didn’t know blocked gutters could cause basement flooding… I guess it makes sense, that all the parts of a home are connected somehow and should work together, right!

• at August 23, 2018

Those are fantastic tips, thank you! I’ll start by calling my plumbers, and then I’ll check my foundation and my roof and see if something needs to be repaired or cleaned… Prevention is key.

• at August 23, 2018

Our basement is often flooded too, and in my case it was really because of an old and damaged drain system. We called our plumbers because we didn’t know what was going on, but we wanted it to stop. They inspected our drains and found out they had been damaged by tree roots.

• at August 23, 2018

And then what happened? What do plumbers do when there are tree roots attacking drains? Do they just cut the roots and hope they won’t grow back?

• at August 23, 2018

Well they came and used some sort of tiny camera to inspect the drain… They showed us the spot where tree roots were blocking the drain. Then, they had to dig and remove a portion of the drain that was so damaged by this tree root invasion that it needed to be replaced.

I guess when the invasion is less severe, they can simply use some sort of long tool to cut the roots and unclog the drain.

• at August 23, 2018

I see! Well, I sure hope that never happens to me…