• at August 2, 2018

I’m looking for some advice on cremations.

My grandmother doesn’t have long to live. We’re expecting her to pass within days or possibly weeks. Our family have decided to cremate her. Has anyone been through this situation?

I’d like to know about costs, what you get, what is compulsory and what is not. I would also like to know if there is anything I should look out for. I heard that some people do get ripped off. It is such a shame that there are companies that can do this. I don’t know how true this is but it would not surprise me.

If there is anyone with knowledge or experience in these matters, I would appreciate hearing your take on this. I thank everyone in advance for their feedback.

• at August 2, 2018

Hi. I am sorry to hear about your family’s plight. And yes, it is sad that people are exploited in such situations. It’s good that you are checking first.

In regards to cremation, I believe there may be several services available, so it is probably not a ‘set’ thing. There may be a ceremony involved, or, there may not. Obviously, this will affect the cost. You are definitely looking at a 4-figure cost. Depending on who you go with and what is included, it can run into several thousand dollars.

Once again, very sorry to hear about your grandmother. Cherish the time you have left.

• at August 2, 2018

Thank you for your kind words and advice. I do appreciate it, at a time like this.

• at August 2, 2018

You could get a complete cremation for under $2,000. This should include all the necessary documentation. If your grandmother passes away in hospital, they will transfer her from there to their facility. They will also transfer her to the crematorium. All of this should be included in their fee.

• at August 2, 2018

Oh I see. That’s good to know that they will do all of that. I also heard some places can charge up to $10,000!

• at August 2, 2018

Wow, that is a lot, but I think you may have misunderstood. I don’t think a cremation will cost that much. I think it can certainly go a little over $3,000. Maybe what you heard was a full-service funeral? That can be around the figure you mentioned.

• at August 2, 2018

Ah, I suppose you are right. I am pretty stressed, so I may have misheard or misunderstood.

• at August 2, 2018

There are also optional items you will probably require. The best thing to do to avoid confusion is to call them and find out. Whereabouts are you located?

• at August 2, 2018

We are all in Toronto.

• at August 2, 2018

So am I. Our family used Aftercare. They were very professional and quite affordable. What impressed me most was how helpful they were. At a time like this, this is what you want, right?

I remember speaking to someone else, sorry, I can’t recall the company, but they seemed a little shifty to me. I thought they wanted to make as much money from me and I never called back.

• at August 2, 2018

Thank you for that. In fact, thank you all for your input. I am very close to my grandmother, so it has been a very stressful time.

• at August 2, 2018

You are most welcome. Hugs.

• at August 2, 2018

Very welcome. Stay strong.