• at August 11, 2018

I’m really, really, REALLY angry at my ’employer’ (term used very broadly!!!) because I have not been paid properly. I have been pretty quiet about this for months. I had been looking for a job for a long time and my friend told me about this, so in desperation, I took it.

I am not sure what to do or what my options are. At least I have some money coming in. I work for a restaurant and make tips. The owner has paid me, but it is very, very rare and it is always cash. If I say something to anyone, I won’t have any money coming in at all. That leaves me at square one again, looking for a job. Any advice?

• at August 11, 2018

Are you legally allowed to work here? I mean, if you are getting money under the table, your employer may feel that there is nothing you can do. Maybe that’s why he or she is taking advantage of you.

• at August 11, 2018

No, it’s not that. I am legally allowed to work. He keeps telling me he will pay, but sometimes he has a smirk on his face. It is almost like it is a joke to him. I work as a waiter, so I make tips, but the tips are not all that great. It is a relatively new place and business is not so good.

The thing is, I know the cooks are also unhappy. He does it to them too, but, I have seen the boss give them money (cash), whenever they kick up a fuss. They do get paid, but only if they get pissed off. I guess without them, there is no restaurant, so they have an upper hand over me.

• at August 11, 2018

I strongly suggest you keep a notebook and enter all kinds of details. Write down the days and hours that you work. Write down how much tips you made. Write down the days you ask for payment and what the result of that was. What he said, what his excuse was; basically, document anything and everything to the best of your knowledge. Then, you should see an employment lawyer who deals in these issues.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Allison.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Allison.
  • at August 11, 2018

Actually, I did that from day one. There was no time clock or any form of record, so I kept a book and wrote my hours. However, I did not keep a record of some of the other things you mentioned.

• at August 11, 2018

That’s OK. From now, make sure to do it. For now, to the best of your knowledge, see if you can recall anything and make notes of that. All this should help you when you speak to an employment lawyer. I am positive that they cannot do this in view of the fact that you are legally able to work here.

As I am not a lawyer, I don’t know if there is any significance in you taking cash as payment on several occasions. You can always claim that you had no idea if it was right or wrong, and that you were desperate. But honestly, I do not think it is a problem.

• at August 11, 2018

OK, thanks for your advice. I will contact a lawyer and see what can be done. I appreciate your help.