• at August 17, 2018

I just moved into my new home and I would appreciate any ideas you can give me in decorating the place. My main concern is the living room but I am open to hearing suggestions about any other part of the home as well. I am going to get some new things like furniture, tables, chairs and beds pretty soon. Thank you in advance to everyone.

• at August 17, 2018

Congrats on your new place. Are we invited for the housewarming? 😁 Would you consider using mirrors? This is a trick many designers use but it does work. In fact, I have mirrors in my place too and it certainly makes a difference, at least to me anyway.

You can place mirrors in strategic places so that it gives an illusion of a larger space. You could even hang a large mirror and let that be the focal point, perhaps in a central position. Depending on how your place is, it could also give some light by reflecting a light source.

If you place a mirror across from a window, it can look like another window. Trust me, I think you will like it.

• at August 17, 2018

Oh yes, I do like it. I would never have thought of it (I guess that’s why I’m here, lol). That’s a great idea and I’ve just made a note of it. As for the housewarming, you can come, but bring an expensive gift!

• at August 17, 2018

Well that rules me out then, lol.

• at August 17, 2018

Is your living room large or small?

• at August 17, 2018

It’s not very big.

• at August 17, 2018

If it isn’t too big and you are going to buy things to fill it up, I suggest you get things that are of a neutral colour. If you are going to redecorate the whole place, then consider neutral colours everywhere in the living room. By this, I mean the furniture, the floors, the walls and the ceiling too.

Soft hues have the ability to give a room a bit of an illumination by reflecting light. It also has a calming effect. I suppose a lot of it has to do with illusion, but that’s a big part of interior decoration, after all.

• at August 17, 2018

Whew, I’m glad you said that. You know, I have not bought my furniture yet, but I have my eye on a couple of things and they are both sort of off-white and beige. That would work, right?

• at August 17, 2018

Oh, absolutely.

• at August 17, 2018

I like things from many parts of the world, which is why I intend to get my furniture and other items from The Art Shoppe. It’s pretty high end stuff but I like that they have furniture from around the world. I’ve been there once and I was really impressed with everything. Anyone else know this place?

• at August 17, 2018

Indeed! I bought my Chelsea sofa there and a Humphrey mirror by Kate Spade there too. Shame about Kate though, eh?

• at August 17, 2018

Yes, very sad. I read somewhere her father passed away a few weeks later. That’s life. Anyway, thank you all for your contributions. A couple of you have given me some great ideas which I have taken on board. Once I settle down and have my place sorted, I may post a few photos.

• at August 17, 2018

Look forward to it. All the best!