• at October 21, 2018

I don’t want to go into too many specific details about my situation (you may understand why…), but I was recently arrested and the investigation is currently ongoing. As you can probably tell, this is my first offence and I’m more than a little worried right now.

Right now, I don’t even have a lawyer. I have never been arrested before and I don’t know what to do. I really don’t want to go to jail over this crime. It was a stupid, stupid, stupid mistake and I’ll never do it again. I just need some advice from the experts here, thanks.

• at October 21, 2018

Sorry about what you’re going through? What crime did you commit though?

• at October 21, 2018

Yeah, I’m curious too. Like, is it something really serious? You know you could be incriminating yourself just by posting here, right?

• at October 21, 2018

I obviously know that, I’m not stupid. That’s why I’m being very vague with my opening post. All I’m going to mention is that I committed a crime, I regret it, and now I need some advice.

• at October 21, 2018

With an attitude like that, I’m starting to understand why you got arrested…

• at October 21, 2018

Wow. That was totally uncalled for. You don’t know what I’m going through, so maybe you should kindly shut up and stop laughing at other people’s misfortune!? People like you make the world a crappier place.

• at October 21, 2018

Okay, this conversation seems to have taken an unexpected turn… Let’s not get off-track here, folks.

I do have some experience with criminal law. My first advice for you is to be careful, especially in this day and age. Whatever crime you committed, and I’m not here to judge, you need to take extra precautions not to incriminate yourself further.

My second advice: I strongly suggest you do is to get yourself a criminal defence lawyer. I have a friend who works in the office of Aswani K. Datt. I have met him several times, so you could call him or get a recommendation from someone else.

You need to be really careful on several fronts. For example, be careful what you say and who you say it to. My advice is, do not talk to anybody about your predicament. The only person you should discuss this with is your lawyer. You will be surprised. Sometimes, even the most innocent conversation you have with someone can end up causing lots of damage.

• at October 21, 2018

Oh my god. Finally, someone who is helpful. Thank you. I have spoken to a few people about this, but mainly just close friends.

• at October 21, 2018

Alright, don’t worry, but as of now, try not to initiate any conversations. If friends ask about it, try to keep it vague. If possible, don’t talk about the intimate details, though I understand it can be hard.

Another thing; everyone in the whole world and probably in other planets seem to have social media accounts. I cannot say this strongly enough; do not ever post anything regarding your case on social media. Once it is out there, you are finished, especially if you said something that could incriminate you. Even if you delete it, it makes no difference. It can be found, or someone may have taken a screenshot.

Imagine if you posted, “Of course I did it. She deserved it. Screw the cops. I’ll always be one step of those pigs.” Do you know that there will be people tracking things like this? Watch your back.

• at October 21, 2018

I have to say you seem to know a lot about what you’re talking about. I did post something on Facebook. Luckily, it wasn’t anything damning. At least I hope not. It was basically to say I had been arrested and that I will be busy for a while.

• at October 21, 2018

Well, be careful now. But you see, this is what I mean. When you post stuff, people will want to know more. They will call you or meet you so that they can ask questions and talk about it. Yet, talking about it is the thing you should not do.

• at October 21, 2018

OK, I will be really careful from now. Thank you so much for such valuable advice. I really mean that.

• at October 21, 2018

You’re welcome. Good luck and godspeed.