• at September 1, 2018

I often see birds coming in and out my roof… It really seems like they’re entering through some crack near the top of the roof, I’m not sure how to explain it and I’ve been trying to take a picture but I just can’t get a clear one.

I think there’s a bird nest somewhere in there, and I don’t know what to do. Any ideas? Has anyone else here ever seen birds coming in and out of their roof?

• at September 1, 2018

I’m not sure to understand what you mean… Are you sure the birds are entering? Maybe the nest is located on your roof, not inside it. I don’t understand how they could have made a nest in your roof…

• at September 1, 2018

If there really is a bird nest, it must be located inside your attic. Are you able to go in there and check? Either way, if you say those birds seem to be going through some crack near the top of your roof, that’s something to be concerned about.

If there’s a crack large enough for a bird to go through, you’ll need to call a roofing company so they can evaluate the damage, and repair your roof.

• at September 1, 2018

No, the nest is not on the top of the roof, it’s really inside it.

I guess you’re right, the nest is probably inside my attic. The problem is that my husband is away for some time, and I don’t feel safe going there by myself. It’s dark and hot, and it seems so easy to step somewhere you shouldn’t step, and fall through!

I was more concerned about the fact that birds and bird nests don’t belong inside roofs, but you’re right, there’s something wrong here! I’ll probably need to call a roofing company, but again, I would feel more comfortable if my husband was here to call them. I’ll try to get in touch with him as soon as I can, he’s on a business trip.

• at September 1, 2018

I’m not absolutely sure about this, you’d have to check with your local laws, but I think it might be forbidden to remove the nest before the young birds leave it. You might have to wait before getting your roof repaired.

Maybe you could see if it’s possible to move the nest in a nest box and install it someplace else, but I’m not sure how it works. All this to say that you can’t just destroy and remove the nest if there are baby birds inside it.

• at September 1, 2018

Ok, that’s good to know. I’ll try to see if I can find more information about this. I don’t want to harm the baby birds, but I also want to get this crack in my roof fixed as soon as possible!

I called my husband, and he told me to call Cherry & Clark Roofing and to ask them for a quote, he says one of his coworkers knows someone who works there. I’ll ask them if they can come and take a look at that crack and see if there are more damages inside the roof… But maybe it’s best to wait until the birds have left the nest? I don’t want them to be disturbed…

• at September 1, 2018

Yeah, you should wait until nesting season is over. You’ll probably need to get your roof repaired anyway, so waiting a bit longer should be ok.

• at September 1, 2018

But how do I know if the baby birds have left the nest?

• at September 1, 2018

Just keep watching your roof… When you see that there are no more birds coming in and out, it should be fine.