• at August 13, 2018

I would like to come to Canada to work. I called my visa application centre in my area and asked them for advice about getting a work permit. They told me that I will need a temporary resident visa first. Only then can I apply for a work permit.

I do not have a job offer, so I want to apply for an open work permit. Just to be safe, I called back another time to make sure I have the correct information. This time, I was told that whoever I spoke with gave me wrong information!

How can they do this? Should it not be standard information? This second person is now telling me that I can apply for a work permit only if I have received a job offer in Canada.

Now, I don’t know what to do. How can I get a work permit without a job offer? I have been searching high and low for jobs but it is so hard and time consuming. I would appreciate any help from you that can show me the way. Thank you all so much for any feedback.

• at August 13, 2018

I’m afraid that you do need a job offer first. Sorry to burst your bubble, but as far as I know, that is the way it works. Your potential employer would then need to apply for something called an LMIA, or a Labour Market Impact Assessment.

If the LMIA goes through and is approved, then you can apply for a work permit. You can apply for a closed work permit that is associated with your would-be employer. So basically, you will not qualify for an open work permit.

• at August 13, 2018

Jesus! Well, OK, thank you for that advice. It seems like anyone I ask has a different answer. It can be so confusing and overwhelming. At least what you just told me, while it has upset me, does seem to make a little more sense.

• at August 13, 2018

I apologize for upsetting you, but you need to know where you stand.

• at August 13, 2018

No, please, no need for apology. I understand. I did ask for help and advice, so please, you did nothing wrong. In fact, I appreciate the help.

• at August 13, 2018

Listen, while I understand that you want some information to see what can be done, why don’t you just speak to someone who knows all about these things? Otherwise, you will be getting all kinds of mixed messages and misinformation. Speak with a legal professional with experience in such matters.

• at August 13, 2018

Yes, you are right. But I am not sure who to contact. There are so many. How will I know if I am contacting the right people?

• at August 13, 2018

I suppose you don’t, but may I make a recommendation? I used Bellissimo Law Group personally and they were able to help me with my issues. I suggest you contact them. At least it’s a start for you.

If you don’t like them, you can always move on to someone else, but I suggest you move fast, instead of wasting time. Even though you may be abroad, I believe you can still try to work something out.

• at August 13, 2018

OK, thanks for the tip. I will send them an email and explain. At least I will know what the next step will be. Thank you.