• at January 30, 2019

My husband and I are remodeling our home, and we’re thinking about getting a custom granite countertop in our new kitchen. However, I’m wondering if it’s easy to clean and maintain a granite countertop? Does anyone know and can you give me a few tips?

He doesn’t think about that sort of things, he only likes the way granite countertops look… But someone has to worry about cleaning it, right?

• at January 30, 2019

It’s a lot easier than cleaning a laminate countertop. Laminate countertops are more affordable, but they’re more difficult to clean than stone countertops.

• at January 30, 2019

Actually, that’s not true. Laminate countertops are also easy to clean, all you need is a bit of soap and water. And you don’t need to seal and polish them, like some stone countertops require.

If you buy brand new granite countertops, they should be sealed already. But for older granite countertops, they need to be protected with a high-quality sealant.

• at January 30, 2019

I wish I had granite countertops! Maybe someday… Where will you be buying yours?

• at January 30, 2019

We’ll get them from Rockstella Stonery Inc, they make gorgeous custom countertops.

• at January 30, 2019

Maintaining a granite countertop is easy, you don’t have to worry about it. If you spill some liquid on it, blot it and dry it with a cloth as soon as possible. When it gets dirty, all you need is a soft cloth and some soap. It’s recommended to avoid harsh cleaners, because they can damage the surface of the granite. White vinegar is considered to be an effective, eco-friendly cleaner, but DON’T use it on granite!! The acidity of the vinegar can wear down the surface of your granite countertop. Just using a few drops of dish soap with warm water should be fine. If you want, you can purchase a stone cleaner, but dish soap should work just fine.

• at January 30, 2019

Thanks a lot!

So the key is to clean up spills as soon as possible, right? But if ever something is dropped on the countertop, and it dries there because no one noticed… Is it easy to clean when it dries up?

• at January 30, 2019

I guess it depends on what it is. But generally, to remove stains on granite countertops you can make a paste with water and baking soda, and use it to gently scrub the stain to make it disappear. If that’s not enough, you can let the paste dry on the stain, and then wipe it away and rinse it with warm water. This should work.

• at January 30, 2019

Good, thank you!

• at January 30, 2019

You’re welcome

• at January 30, 2019

Granite is easy to clean. It’s very strong and durable, but you still have to be careful with a few things.

Avoid letting hot pots and pans on your granite countertop. The heat should not damage the granite, but temperature changes can end up doing some harm. It’s best to just be careful and always use trivets.

You should also avoid letting glasses and pots filled with cold liquids on your countertop. Cold liquids produce moisture that can be absorbed by the granite, and you don’t want this. Use coasters if you want to leave a glass of cold water, a glass of wine or a container of juice on your countertop.

• at January 30, 2019

That’s good to know, thank you! I’ll keep this in mind.

I’m reassured because it seems easy to clean and maintain a granite countertop. We have a few more details to think about, but our dream kitchen will come true very soon!

• at January 30, 2019

That’s amazing! Enjoy your new kitchen and countertop!