• April 17, 2018 at 3:11 pm

Hey everyone!

Our family is going on a three-week vacation to Japan this summer! It’s going to be our first time visiting this beautiful country. We already bought the plane tickets and booked the hotel rooms, so the logistics are thankfully all done! I’m still in the middle of planning the activities for the four of us (hubby + two kids aged 7 and 9) so my ears are open for any recommendations.

Has anyone here visited Japan before? Can you offer some great places to visit or fun family activities to do together? Let’s hear it! 🙂

• April 17, 2018 at 5:23 pm

Oh Japan! That sounds so fun for you! Which part of Japan are you going to? I’m assuming Tokyo, right?

• April 17, 2018 at 8:17 pm

Yes! We’ll be staying at Tokyo for the most part. We’re also planning to visit a couple of other destinations. Maybe take the train to Namba for a few days. Do some sightseeing there.

• April 18, 2018 at 10:40 am

Japan is a fabulous place for a family vacation and I think you’re going to love it there! I have a couple of recommendations for you:

• Tokyo Tower: It’s like going to the CN Tower when you’re visiting Toronto. It’s such a signature destination that you should go at least once if you’re a first-time tourist.
    • Imperial Palace: See above. This is a really cool archive of Japanese history with lots of cultural value and artifacts for you to enjoy. A must-go for history buffs.
    • Food Stands: Don’t forget to try out the various food stalls! It’s going to be busy and crowded with tourists, but I assure you that the wait is worth it! The longer the line, the more delicious the food will be. Guaranteed!
    • Hot Springs: It’s not for everyone, but try a dip in the hot springs if you can! It’s not something that’s very common in North America, so just the novelty alone is worth the try. Not only is it super relaxing, but you’ll also get a lot of health benefits from soaking in these hot springs.
    • Kabuki Theatre Shows: Just a really cool cultural experience where you can enjoy Japanese theatre in its most authentic form. You don’t have to understand the language to enjoy it. You can appreciate the intricate costume designs, the dance movements, and just the whole atmosphere is something to experience.
  • April 18, 2018 at 6:05 pm

Food! There are so many delicious restaurants and food stalls and vending machines everywhere. The service in the restaurants is fantastic, and the places in tourist-friendly areas will be able to speak or understand basic English. Go on Yelp and look up some places with great reviews. You should definitely try out the ramen and the Wagyu beef from a steakhouse. You’ll never taste food that yummy, trust!

• April 18, 2018 at 7:57 pm

Try visiting a cafe for some afternoon high tea. The desserts there are heavenly.

• April 19, 2018 at 9:39 am

Yesssss. I can’t believe I forgot to mention the desserts. They are fab! They are also everywhere, and 9 places out of 10 are going to be excellent.

• April 19, 2018 at 3:19 pm

Sounds like I’ll be doing a lot of eating in Japan, hahaha! A lot of great recommendations, especially Gillian! I’m going back to the drawing board and plan out some fun vacation activities for the family. Thanks everyone!