• at August 2, 2018

I decided to seize an exciting job opportunity, but that means I have to move to Vancouver next month. I’m living in Toronto right now, and I’ve lived in Toronto all my life so I know nothing about long distance moves.

Is it complicated to find movers to move to another province? Are there particular things I should know and keep in mind? Surely this will be a lot more complex than simply moving to the next neighbourhood! I’m excited but I’m also feeling nervous and a bit overwhelmed I guess!

• at August 2, 2018

First of all, congratulations on accepting an exciting job opportunity! Seems like it will be a new adventure for you!

I guess finding long distance movers shouldn’t be too complicated… There are movers that specialize in moving your belongings to another country, so surely they can also easily move you across Canada!

• at August 2, 2018

Do you live in an appartment or in a house? I guess the more stuff you want to pack and move with you, the more complex your long distance move will be. But it can be done, of course! Moving time is always a stressful time, but if you take it one step at a time and focus on the positive changes moving will bring in your life, everything will be fine I’m sure.

• at August 2, 2018

Thank you, you’re too kind. And I live in a house, so I have a lot of furniture and many things that I just don’t want to leave behind.

I’ve also found the perfect house over there, the transaction is almost completed! So I guess the next step is to find movers, and ask for a few different quotes so I can figure out who to hire?

• at August 2, 2018

That’s right, that’s exactly what you should do! And then when you’ve found the right movers, you schedule the dates of your long distance move with them, and when the time comes you start packing your things, just like you would for a normal move, I guess.

• at August 2, 2018

You should check out Hudson Movers and ask them for a quote. They’re a member of United Van Lines, so you know you can’t go wrong with them.

But of course, feel free to do your own research and to request quotes from different movers! I’m just recommending Hudson because I’ve heard great things about their storage services, a few people I know have hired them.

• at August 2, 2018

Thank you, I’ll check them out.

• at August 2, 2018

I only have one piece of advice that I live by everytime I have to move: moving is the perfect time to get rid of any items you don’t really love, don’t really need or don’t really want. Sure, you want to hold on to a lot of things, but if there’s anything you know you can live without, don’t bother bringing it with you!

Get rid of those unwanted things by selling them or giving them away, and this way it should cost you a little less to move the rest of your belongings across country.

• at August 2, 2018

An important thing to keep in mind is that you certainly won’t be driving to your new home in one single day! Be sure to book your hotel rooms in advance as you plan your trip, this way everything will be more simple as you won’t have to search for a place to stay in the middle of the night!

• at August 2, 2018

Those are good tips, thank you! I’m slowly making a list of things I have to do and keep in mind, and I feel like it’s helping me feel more focused already.