• at August 25, 2018

As some of you might know, I’m a little obsessed with cleanliness… Ok, I guess you could say I’m a neat freak! I work hard to keep my home clean and well organized, but when I’m at work I get so frustrated!

I often feel like I’m the only one who knows what cleanliness is, especially in the office kitchen. It’s so messy and gross! I’m already working at my desk, I can’t spend all my time cleaning up the whole place on my own, this is not my job!

I’ve been trying to convince my coworkers that it was important to at least clean up the kitchen after they are done using it, but no one listens to me!

I’m desperate… Do you have any tips on how I could convince them?

• at August 25, 2018

Office kitchens are often the worst! Do you have a dishwasher in there? If not, maybe just getting a small one will make it easier for everyone to keep in mind that dirty dishes can, and should be cleaned!

• at August 25, 2018

Sorry to say, but I don’t think people can be convinced to clean up after themselves… If they don’t care that the kitchen is dirty, nothing you can say will make them care.

I think if you really want to make your coworkers do something, you have to either threaten them, or reward them. For example you could set rules in place that will state that anyone who doesn’t clean up the mess they make won’t have the right to use the kitchen anymore, something like that… or you can set up a reward system for those who help keep the kitchen clean.

This way maybe they still won’t care about cleanliness, but at least they will be motivated by something. That’s how I see it anyway.

• at August 25, 2018

No, we don’t have a dishwasher, just a sink which is always, of course, full of dirty and smelly dishes. I could not tell you how many times I’ve been doing the dishes because no one else would…

Threats or rewards? Yeah I guess that could work, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing this, and I don’t think they would appreciate threats either.

• at August 25, 2018

Do you have a janitorial service? Office cleaning is something that should be taken seriously, especially if your colleagues tend to be messy people.

If you don’t, I recommend hiring Focus Building Maintenance Cleaning. They always seem to do an amazing job. If you already have a team of hired cleaners visiting your office, maybe you should ask them to visit you more often, and to spend more time in the kitchen.

• at August 25, 2018

We have hired a janitor who only comes around once or twice a week to empty the trash cans and mop the floor… I don’t think he does more than that, and he’s really not that reliable. I think he’s actually the brother in law of my boss.

I’ll tell my boss about Jan-Pro, I don’t know if he’ll want to hire them but I’ll give it a try. Thank you!

• at August 25, 2018

I think it’s a good idea to just set up rules in the ktichen. Sometimes it’s not that people don’t care, it’s just that they forget because they have a lot on their mind… You could put up signs that remind people to clean up any mess they make, and to do their dishes. I’m sure that could help improve the state of your kitchen.

• at August 25, 2018

That’s a good idea, I don’t know if it will be effectice though. Maybe if I can make fun and colourful signs, people will actually look at them and pay attention.