• at August 3, 2018

I’m thinking of painting a couple of rooms to freshen up the place. I have never painted before, so before I start, I wanted to get some tips from you experienced people out there.

Of course, I may still ask someone to do it for me. There are so many painting companies in Toronto. I’m not even sure where to start or who to call. I thought I’d do it by myself and if I screw it up, which I would not put it past me, then I could call someone to undo the damage! Hey all, I am thinking of painting a couple of rooms to freshen up the place.

I have never painted before. Before I start, I wanted to get some tips. Of course, I may still ask someone to do it for me. There are so many painting companies in Toronto. I’m not even sure where to start or who to call. I thought I’d do it by myself and if I screw it up, which I would not put it past me, then I could call someone to undo the damage!

• at August 3, 2018

Give it a shot first. I think you can do a decent job. It is actually kind of fun to paint your place. I did my whole house by myself and loved every minute of it. It also got me away from the wife. 😉

Me: Honey, can we go shopping?

Wife: No dear, I’ve got to finish this wall or it won’t look right. You better go without me.

The most important thing you should do first may not be the most fun though. You need to prepare the surface. So, whatever wall you are going to paint, there may be holes, cracks or other imperfections.

You need to scrape stuff off, sand it, fill holes and cracks and whatever else you gotta do. If you don’t, then don’t bother painting. You can use the best paint in the world, these imperfections will show up.

• at August 3, 2018

I would have just started painting without the prep. Thank god you told me this. Listen, if you want to get away from the wife, you can always help me. There’s $20 in it for you! 😀

• at August 3, 2018

This hasn’t got much to do with the actual painting, but you need to protect your floors. You could use plastic to protect from all the paint spatter. However, I suggest you use canvas. Though a plastic drop cloth may be cheaper, it is also riskier.

Paint that spills on it will be wet and slippery. It can also cause more tripping hazards. It is also prone to rips. Canvas is safer and more rip-resistant. There is a lesser chance of tripping. Paint that falls on it will be absorbed so there is less chance of slips and accidents.

• at August 4, 2018

I may be a little biased because I like doing it this way, but I suggest that you use a telescopic pole for your roller. This way, you don’t really need to go up and down or move a ladder. Look for one with a comfortable grip and a strong metal core. Flexibility makes it difficult to control.

• at August 4, 2018

Well, thanks for all these tips. I will try painting it myself, but just in case I need to call someone, can anyone make any suggestions?

• at August 4, 2018

I’m assuming you’re in Toronto? I would recommend Court-Hampton Painting Inc. They are very good, professional and punctual. They once painted a place I worked in and I was pretty impressed.

• at August 5, 2018

Alrighty, I’ll give them a try. Thanks for the tips. Cheers!