• at August 11, 2018

We are thinking of getting a puppy. After much consideration, we have decided to go with a Golden Retriever. They are just so absolutely gorgeous. However, before we get one, I wanted to see if I could pick up some helpful tips from you.

If you can give me some advice on their care, or anything else you think will be useful to a first-time dog owner, I would be grateful.

• at August 11, 2018

Golden Retrievers are such beautiful dogs! They have wonderful, kind faces and they are great with kids. I suggest you start grooming them as early as you can. Grooming is important to keep the hair and skin healthy and prevent matting. Let them get used to it from the time they are puppies.

• at August 11, 2018

Daily brushing is good, otherwise, brush as often as you can manage it. People are busy, but if you have help, you can all take turns so that you can comb or brush your puppy when you get him or her.

Also, even if it gets hot, do not shave your puppy. The thing about grooming is, it also gives you a chance to feel your dog and spot things like bumps or cuts. You could then take him or her to the vet.

• at August 11, 2018

Thank you. Yes, we do intend to start grooming sooner rather than later. You’re right, the sooner the better.

• at August 11, 2018

Make sure to give your new puppy only the best quality food. I know some people may opt for the cheaper brands. Do not do this. This is an important stage in your puppy’s life. You want to make sure that your puppy gets the proper amount of nutrients to keep it strong and healthy.

Some companies make food that are specific to a certain breed. See if you can get one that is good for Golden Retriever puppies. Always check the ingredients. The first ingredient should be meat. It should not be an animal by-product or some kind of grain or corn meal. If you notice such ingredients listed from the start, do not get it.

There are guidelines as to how to feed your puppy on the packaging. However, if your puppy is really small, you can give it something to eat about four times a day. When they are around six months, you can feed it three times a day.

• at August 11, 2018

When do you intend to get your puppy? Do you know where to get it from? I know you mentioned this will be your first dog. I will make a suggestion and you can find out more, if this helps. Contact Golden Asset Kennels. They can help you and they are very experienced.

By the way, do not forget about oral care. Start this early. You have no idea how incredibly important this is. You must only use special toothpaste meant for dogs. You can also get a toothbrush for dogs. Proper oral care can help to decrease the chances of your dog getting some serious medical conditions later on.

• at August 11, 2018

I’m glad you mentioned this. I had no idea that you had to brush their teeth. I obviously have to learn a lot more. Thank you all for such valuable information.