• at August 22, 2018

I’m a former Vancourite who moved to Toronto (for work) a while ago and I’m looking to settle down permanently in this city. I’m still really new to the area, so I’m not quite sure about the ins and outs of each district.

For all the Toronto-based OUF members here, do you have any suggestions for me? What’s a good area to live in downtown Toronto? I’m mainly looking for an area with good schools and a safe neighbourhood for my daughter (starting first grade) and me.

• at August 22, 2018

Ooh, that’s a tough question to answer without knowing more details about your situation. Toronto is such a big city, and while there’s room for everyone, it’s going to take a little digging deep in order to find the right place for you.

First, I’d start with listing out your needs and wants. What are your top priorities? You mentioned good schools and a safe neighbourhood. Anything else?

What’s your budget like? Can you afford something a little more lucrative? Or are you just trying to make ends meet?

Are you looking to buy a house or a condo? Or are you planning to rent? Is commute a factor?

These are just some of the questions from the top of my head, and I’m just getting started! 🙂

• at August 22, 2018

It seems like school is the biggest concern for you. In that case, I’d suggest you begin your search by looking for the best schools and then trying to find a property nearby that area. Trust me, you don’t want to buy a place and then end up having to travel forever just to drop off and pick up your kids each day!

• at August 22, 2018

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone! I’m just looking a humble place to house my daughter and me. I have a moderate budget, but I don’t want to live too uncomfortably either, if you know what I mean. As mentioned before, school and safety are my two main priorities. I prefer to live in a condo than a house – less hassle. And yes, I must be near a TTC line.

• at August 22, 2018

Hey Victoria, have you considered talking to a real estate agent? As much as I trust the credible opinions from our OUF members, I think you might benefit from speaking with an actual industry expert. They’d know about the different Toronto neighbourhoods like the back of their palms. If you need any recommendations, let me know. I can give you a few pointers to get started!

• at August 22, 2018

I didn’t have the best time working with a real estate agent in the past, so that’s why I’m looking for a second opinion elsewhere first… Just wanted to decide on a few districts before getting in touch with a realtor. However, I’m willing to keep an open mind. New city, new opportunities! And yes, any suggestions are welcomed.

• at August 22, 2018

If you want to live in a condo, then you should definitely get in touch with Toronto Condo Team. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and they know all the hottest areas to live in Toronto. I’ve worked with them a few years ago and they found me the condo of my dreams.

• at August 22, 2018

Condo of your dreams, huh? Sounds like a very glowing endorsement! OK, I’ll give them a call and see where this leads me. Thanks again for listening to me babble, everyone!