• at October 3, 2018

I’m going to have hardwood floors installed in my home. Before I do, I just wanted some advice from you kind folks out there.

What should I look out for? By that, I mean, what kind of mistakes should I try to avoid? What may be longer-lasting or easier to take care of? Basically, any info or advice and tips to make it easier for me in order to avoid costly mistakes. Who and where would you recommend I approach?

• at October 3, 2018

I suggest you go to Fuse Flooring. They were recommended to me by a friend. I used them and I was so happy with the whole experience.

As for what you should go for, it really isn’t just the product itself you should consider. While that is important, you also need to think about what kind of space you have as well as the lifestyle you lead. These are determining factors. Not everyone is in the same situation, so needs can be different.

For example, if you live alone and you go out a lot, you may want to choose something different from someone who has a lot of kids and pets. They would need something completely different to your choice.

• at October 3, 2018

Other things you want to look for are durability, easy cleaning and maintenance and it’s always good if it is hypoallergenic.

• at October 3, 2018

Touching on what the previous poster said, if you have a family and pets, you can safely say it is going to be a high-traffic household. A matte finish with a wire-brushed look is one way to go, as it can easily hide scratches. A clear grain or high-sheen wood cannot do this.

• at October 3, 2018

You also need to consider the type of wood. There are pretty much just two choices. One is solid wood and the other is engineered wood. A lot of people choose engineered wood. Engineered wood can be trendy and more stable. You would be better off using engineered wood where there may be moisture.

Solid wood can be damaged from moisture that may come through the ground. For a basement, engineered wood would be the preferred choice. This can be easily installed on a concrete floor.

• at October 3, 2018

Make sure that whatever you choose, it should not clash with what you have in your home. I would recommend that you bring home a sample so that you can check it out.

Not only that, the lighting can play a part too (sometimes). It may look great when you see it in the showroom. When you bring it home, suddenly, it does not look so great. It might not fit well with your decor.

Whatever stain or finish you choose, try and get a sample and see if it passes the test when you bring it home, otherwise, you will have an expensive mistake. You don’t want to have any regrets.

• at October 3, 2018

That’s a great idea! I’ll ask for samples so that I can check.