• at October 18, 2018

I run a small e-commerce business by myself, and I made a shipment recently to a customer of mine. Unfortunately, it got damaged along the way. Now the customer is upset and demanding a refund from me, even though it was in perfect condition when I originally shipped it.

Long story short, this whole situation is a pain up my backside. I am sure there will be all kinds of headaches associated with this problem in the future. How can I do my best to prevent it in the first place? And what should I do if it happens again?

• at October 18, 2018

You can only do everything within your power to make sure it is packaged properly and securely. You’re right, things can happen and damage can occur, especially during international shipping.

There are things that are not going to be in your control. However, whatever is in your control, try to do the best you can.

Make sure to palletize your cargo. This does help. Try to use packaging that has some kind of impact protection. Sometimes a combination of protective measures can make the difference.

Try to also place your shipment in a crate for further protection. Of course, these measures will cost more but in my opinion, it’s really worth it.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Allison.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Allison.
  • at October 18, 2018

Needless to say, you should document everything thoroughly. You should also take photos of it. Not everyone does this, you know. Get into the habit of taking photos. Make sure to het the PRO number as well. This way, you will be able to link any damage to that specific carrier.

Always inspect the shipment and only then sign the proof of delivery. Check for any damages. Make sure that all pieces are accounted for. In case there are missing pieces or any damage, this information will help a lot when you file your claim.

If you notice anything missing or damaged, you have to mention it otherwise you will run into a problem when you file a claim. If you did not mention it, then your claim may not have a leg to stand on. Be very careful.

• at October 18, 2018

Just to touch on what someone else said regarding the PRO number, this is something that carriers use for reference. It is just a series of digits. If you have an invoice with the breakdown of cost, then you can know what the cost is of any damaged goods. This is pretty important for your claim.

• at October 18, 2018

I have never made a claim before. When do I make a claim? What kind of timeframe am I looking at?

• at October 18, 2018

Good question. You need to be pretty quick if you happen to catch any damage. If you notice damage, if possible, try to let the carrier know immediately. If this is not possible, then let them know within the next couple of days. The sooner the better.

In certain cases, you may need to respond faster. Immediate notification in such cases is a must. Do not delay it by a day or longer.

If you need more in-depth knowledge or advice, I suggest you contact a logistics and transportation management company like 3PL Links.

• at October 18, 2018

Has anyone made a claim? What do you need to include in it?

• at October 18, 2018

Documents with signatures that state damages. If you have photos, include it. Documents and photos of both before and after are preferable. Any email correspondence, invoices, additional charges, stuff like that. Any relevant documents will be required.